- About us
- Information for patients
- Patient information
- Preparing for your test
- Appointments for special tests
- Order a Self Requested Test
- My test results
- Payments and charges
- Illumiscreen - pre-natal testing
- Useful links
- Collection centres
- Commercial testing
- Clinician information
- Clinician information
- Pathology test guide
- Result reporting
- Requesting tests
- Your practice support
- Newsletters for clinicians
- Illumiscreen (NIPT)
- Clinical Data Repository (CDR) information
- eclair: online test ordering
- Infection control
- Contact us
Charges for lab tests
When do I have to pay for a lab test?
Wellington SCL's 3DHB laboratory contract specifies which tests are funded and who can order them. Please refer to the below list of laboratory tests for details of the funding categorisation.
Some general patient tests may have fees
The tests below will have fees if your GP orders them. They will be free if your specialist orders them or if your GP's request has already been approved by a registered medical specialist. Payment is required at the time of sample collection.
An administration fee of $13.50 will be charged for each visit.
Where your test is referred to another testing laboratory additional charges relating to packaging and courier fees will also apply.
Charges apply for the following tests
Testing is not paid for by the district health boards in the following situations:
- pre-employment or training placement; e.g. nursing and medical students
- employment related (workplace health testing), or for an overseas posting or deployment
- immigration or visa medicals
- insurance medicals or any other medicals such as a pilot's medical
- a research study or drug trial or similar
- people who are visiting New Zealand and/or are not New Zealand residents and who are not elligible for public funding
- patients of non-medical practitioners such as dentists, naturopaths
- self-ordered by patients.
These lists will be updated as funding rules change.
Here are prices of tests commonly requested in the situations described above. Payment is required at the time of sample collection. An administration fee of $13.50 will be charged for each visit.
If a test you require is not shown above or if you are uncertain about charges, please contact our Accounts Dept on 03 474 8341 for information.
Laboratory tests for an Immigration medical
As at July 2012 there are three different laboratory test referral forms that may be used as part of the medical assessment for immigration purposes. Your doctor will decide which form is used and prices are shown below.
Administration fees which includes (standard and immigration fee charages) will be charged for each visit.
For more information about our commercial services and pricing for workplace testing, testing for research programmes, or health and wellbeing testing, refer to our commercial testing page.
How can I pay?
Click here for information about paying your account.