Do I have to pay for my tests?

Do I have to pay for my tests?

The District Health Boards (DHBs) provide funding for laboratory testing services and many services are free for eligible patients.

Your medical practitioner will let you know if your tests are funded by the DHBs.

Click here to view the 3DHB Funded and Unfunded Test List

The table below sets out the rules for publicly funded tests.

New Zealand citizens and residentsNew Zealand citizens (including those living in the Cook Island, Niue or Tokelau) and residentsYES
Any person applying for
Testing for immigration/emigration or visa purposesNO
Tests for
screening purposes

Tests for a trial or study
Tests that are requested on a well person devoid of symptoms and with no identifying risk factors e.g. blood group, wellness testing

Tests that are for, or part of a research project , a study or trial
TravellersScreening tests prior to travel — e.g. Hepatitis immunity, rabies antibodiesNO
Tests for employment,
pre-employment, education and
work experience
Screening tests for education or work experience — e.g. Nursing student medicalHealth and safety testing — e.g. lead levels, drug testingNO
Self referred or patients
referred by other than NZ
registered doctors
Limited range of funded tests for midwives, smear taker, nurse practitionerNO
People obtaining a medical
certificate, insurance
or superannuation policy
Where a certificate is required — e.g. pilot or diver’s medical licence and
insurance testing
Work permit holdersHolds a current work permit, which together with the time the person has already been in NZ lawfully, allows for a continuous stay of at least two yearsForeign Language Teaching Assistants funded by Ministry of EducationYES
Refugees and applicant
With proof of refugee/applicant statusYES
Visitor permit holderHolds a visitor’s permitRefer to Ministry of Health eligibility conditions for child visitors under care of an eligible parent, or pregnant partner of an eligible personNO

Australian citizensAs per New Zealand residentYES
United Kingdom citizens
ordinarily resident in UK
Testing required for medical conditions requiring prompt attentionYES
Foreign DiplomatsOther than Australia / UK diplomats and their family (including their children)NO
All persons receiving
compulsory health services
Compulsory treatment under TB Act 1948, Health Act 1956, Alcohol & Drug Addiction Act 1966, Mental Health Act 1992Prison inmatesYES
Funded StudentsFunded by NZAID ODA and includes partners and childrenYES
Student permit holdersHolds a current student permit (unless studying continuously since before 29 October 2003)NO

For more information on test funding eligibility, please visit https://www.moh.govt.nz/eligibility