A few of our tests require simple advance preparation. Other tests may require you to take a sample for us. Find out here what is needed.
How to prepare for tests
|Lipids (fasting)||12 hours fasting *|
|Glucose (fasting)||12 hours fasting *|
|Drug levels||As per your doctor’s instructions|
|Skin allergy tests +||This test takes about 1 hour. You will need to stay in the collection rooms for that period. (Appointment required)|
|Glucose Challenge||Click here for further information|
|Glucose Tolerance Test||Click here for further information|
|Fine Needle Aspiration||Click here for further information|
* Fasting: Nil by mouth except water for 10-12 hours (no tea or coffee) .
+ Available only at Courtenay Place and Lower Hutt.
How to collect a sample
Find out how to take samples for the following tests:
- 24 hour urine
- 24 hour urine (acid collect)
- Midstream urine
- Chlamydia/Gonorrhoea urine
- Semen Analysis
- Sputum collect for cytology
- Faecal occult blood
- Paediatric urine
- Non-gynae cytology urine
Collection instructions in other languages
- What is a Fine Needle Aspiration test and what is involved?
- What is a Glucose Challenge test and what is involved?
- What is a Glucose Tolerance test and what is involved?
If you have any questions about preparing for a test, call us on (04) 381 5900.