An appointment is needed for this test, so please phone the laboratory on (04) 381 5900 to book, and for any further information.
About your Test
- Your health professional has requested this test to help in the diagnosis of diabetes.
- You will need to telephone the laboratory to make an appointment.
- You need to fast for at least 8 hours and no more than 14 hours before the test.
- You should enjoy your normal diet without restrictions, including sugar. Take your normal exercise for the 3 days prior to your test but avoid vigorous exercise in the 12 hours immediately prior to the test.
- If you are taking any medication you should continue to take this, unless instructed otherwise by your health professional.
- You will need to remain at the Collection Centre for just over 2 hours. During this time you will be required to rest. You may like to bring a book to read.
Please follow the guidelines listed below. This ensures accuracy of your test results.
- The evening before your test, have your normal evening meal and supper (no later than 9.00pm).
- Do not eat or drink anything – other than water – from 9.00pm the evening before your test until you have had your test the following morning.
- On the morning of your test DO NOT eat breakfast. You may drink water only until just before your test, but not during your test.
- A blood sample will be collected. You will then be given a drink containing 75gm of glucose. You will be asked to drink this over a period of no more than 5 minutes.
- You should inform the staff if you feel unwell at any time during the test.
- A second blood sample will be collected 2 hours after you have finished the glucose drink. This completes your test – you may eat and drink normally after this.
Print this page or download PDF
You can print this page or download a PDF of it here.
These instructions are available in other languages here.