About Your Test
Your health professional has requested this test to check for infection. You will be provided with a punnet to collect your sample in, a sample container, and a specimen delivery bag.
Please collect this sample before starting any antibiotic medication.
Specimen Collection rocedure
- Write your name and date of birth in the spaces provided on the sample container.
- Clean around the urinary opening and genital area with a piece of toilet paper moistened with water.
- Female patients: cleanse from front to back, avoiding the anal area
- Male patients: draw back the foreskin
- Dry the area.
- Pass a small amount of urine into the toilet, and then without stopping collect some urine ‘mid stream’ into the plastic collection punnet.
- Finish passing urine into the toilet. Do not collect the last stream.
- Pour the urine from the collection punnet into the specimen container and screw the lid on firmly.
- Discard the collection punnet.
- Write the date and time of collection on the sample container and place the container in the delivery bag with the request form in the front pocket.
- Keep the sample in the fridge if possible. Otherwise keep it in a cool place. Deliver to the laboratory as soon as possible.
For further information regarding this test procedure, please contact Wellington SCL on (04) 381 5900 or 0800 381 5900.