- About us
- Information for patients
- Patient information
- Preparing for your test
- Appointments for special tests
- Patient self-requested testing
- My test results
- Payments and charges
- Illumiscreen - pre-natal testing
- Useful links
- Collection centres
- Commercial testing
- Clinician information
- Clinician information
- Pathology test guide
- Result reporting
- Requesting tests
- Your practice support
- Newsletters for clinicians
- Illumiscreen (NIPT)
- Clinical Data Repository (CDR) information
- eclair: online test ordering
- Infection control
- Contact us
Interested in Phlebotomy?
Have you ever wondered who was collecting your blood when you visited our collection rooms?
It was a Phlebotomist, someone who is responsible for safely collecting blood samples from patients before they are sent onto our laboratory for testing.
Our Phlebotomists are trained to provide excellent customer service and high quality care to our patients. This is a busy role, with our team processing up to 3,500 patient tests over a day. Working from our 29 collection rooms across the greater Wellington region, our Phlebotomists also do home visits and provide collection services at private hospitals, rest homes and some doctors’ surgeries. We also do ward rounds on a daily basis at Wellington, Hutt, Kenepuru and Wairarapa Hospitals.
What we need
Phlebotomy experience is preferred but not essential because full training will be given to the right candidate. Many of our Phlebotomists have no formal training when they start with us, just great customer service skills and a desire to help others. In time, you will need to achieve your Qualified Medical Laboratory Technician (Phlebotomy) certification, and we will support you through that process.
You will have:
- A positive and friendly approach to your work
- Compassion for others, including a real desire to provide high quality care to a wide variety of patients of all ages and circumstances
- Excellent customer service skills including a high level of personal presentation and pride in your work
- Strong attention to detail and an ability to follow processes accurately, even when under pressure
- A desire to work independently but within a great team
- A full drivers license
- Sound computer skills.
Terms and Conditions
Our collection rooms are located across the greater Wellington region, covering central Wellington, Hutt Valley and Porirua up to the Kapiti Coast and Wairarapa. Our rooms are generally open between 7.00am and 5.30pm, Monday to Friday, and some are open on Saturday mornings. Ward rounds are performed daily at the hospitals and there may be times you may be required to work on Sundays or Public Holidays from time to time.
We employ Phlebotomists on a full-time, part-time and casual basis. Job opportunities arise on a regular basis and we are happy to receive an expression of interest from you even if we currently have no Phlebotomist vacancies.
The job pays in the region of $38,000 to $48,000 per annum for Phlebotomists with no special responsibilities, and we regularly offer opportunities for continuing professional development.
Please take a look around our website for more information.